Starfish.

The personal and introspective musings of an all-too-tongue-and-cheek college girl.

8/23/2008

Impossible Love

Wow.

I've only been at ACU for a week now and my life is already starting to look incredibly different. I didn't have much of a problem adjusting to dorm life since my way of living at home was pretty much independent. I also don't have any trouble making myself go to things, which apparently is everyone's major concern. Look, with tuition this high, I can't AFFORD not to go to class.

:]

But, on a far more valuable note, this week has taught me a lot about where my priorities need to lie, and I'm finding myself falling more and more in love with my King, just like I used to be. 

At candelight devo (a 24-year ACU tradition where freshmen are given candles and walk through a path made by upperclassmen whose candles are already lit until they reach the amphitheater, where they are joined by the uppers, light their candles, and worship together for an hour or so) we had an incredible speaker. Our theme this year at Welcome Week is Revolution, spelled rLOVEution. The bible professor who gave the keynote talked about the two greatest revolutionaries he knew of. One was the son of a king who studied under the likes of Aristotle, traveled the world, and became famous for conquering the known land and died at the age of 33... Alexander the Great. His revolution was based upon the love of power; the desire for control and submission from the lower population. 

The second revolutionary was (as known to the world) the son of a simple carpenter. He studied on his own from the temple scrolls, was a promoter of non-violence, but made a big stir among the Jews and Gentiles, although his travels didn't extend far past Jerusalem. He too died at 33, but his revolution was based on the power of love, the desire for unity and servanthood in any walk of life.

I find it amazing that the peaceful protester is still spoken of widely today, while the go-getter/vigilante is only mentioned in history classes. The King we serve was the greatest revolutionary of all time, and as we move towards change in this day and age, we would do well to follow his example.

The speaker also told us of his brother, who, that night, was in a boat on a dangerous lake in Ghana, pockets full of large bills, preparing to go into town the next day and buy child slaves who he would then take to the Village of Hope so that they could be rehabilitated. 

How incredible would it be to buy a child from slavery, take them to a place of hope and mercy, and then have the opportunity to share with them that YOU had been bought as well, saved from the most unimaginable fate, and all out of the goodness of the Lord. What an amazing chance to testify to the love our Father has for us.



As you can probably tell, I'm more on fire for this revolution now than I was when I left home. I look forward to the next four years that I will have in this amazing place, and to the transformation in my spirit.



Well, I'm off to the talent show rehearsal (Lucas and I are playing and singing a beautiful song he wrote)! The show (for those of you in Abilene) is tonight on the ACU campus in the Moody Auditorium at 6:00PM.

In Him,
Abby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home